Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I'm living in a mud hut! Not even joking. This past week is a blur, still an emotional roller coaster. Our first lesson when we arrived was how to go to the bathroom in a hole... This will definitely be roughing it! But in a good way, at least that's what I'm hoping. There are 80 people in my "stage," meaning all the Americans in my training class. We first met in Philadelphia for orientation before making the long trip from JFK to Paris, and Paris to Bamako. We've been pretty sheltered so far at our training center. We all leave our mud huts around 7 am for days full of sessions on how to live and succeed in Mali. Literally spent 2 hours talking about diarrhea, or "Mr. D." Learned how to change a flat tire of a bike. Talked a lot about stereotypes and how we'll be perceived in Malian culture. We've had a few meals together in the traditional Malian way, meaning 5-6 people sitting in a circle on floor mats with a bowl of rice and sauce in the middle. Everyone digs in with their right hand. Laughed at some current volunteers who put on an awesome skit about "malaria" to the tune of Rhianna's song "Disturbia."

We celebrated July 4th together at the American Club in Bamako, a hang out spot for ex-pats. Had a visit from the American Ambassador of Mali today, talking to us about the current state of affairs in Mali and our role in promoting development. Only learned a little about my sector so far (health education) but really looking forward to learning more!! Apparently there's a major focus on child and maternal health in Mali now. Had our first language lesson the other day, I can greet in Bambara! We'll be studying 6 hours a day, 6 days a week....yikes.

Just taking everything one day at a time. Leaving tomorrow for our homestays to continue the language and cultural training. I'll be off the internet for at least two weeks so I wanted to check-in! So there's a snapshot, sorry this is so short but I promise there will be more details coming!

Keep the emails coming, any distractions are definitely appreciated :) Should be able to check-in again in the next two weeks!

10 comments:

  1. yaaay!! so glad you've made it safe and sound! it sounds like you'll be keeping yourself extremely busy. good luck with the homestay.

    LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are on my list every day and I have a Red Iphone to God to keep you safe and healthy. No Mr. D for YOU! (one hopes... we have survived being ready to put a CORK in our butts in S. America and in Africa.) mostly it's good to know our bodies will get rid of the bad stuff but we need to replenish our fluids and electrolytes...
    This will be one of the most incredible experiences of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sissy I'm thinking about you all the time! I can't wait to hear more about this amazing adventure.

    Btw, I'm about to spam your blog to all my friends and our family so you're about to have quite a few more followers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. word on the [bainbridge] street says you are engaged?! WTF.
    went to abbey's grad party and one of your mom's friends (not sure what her name was) said that you are spanky got engaged.
    this can't be true...right?!?! you're breaking the promise! lol
    I had to contact you at once!
    ...and yes, I do realize how public this is ;)

    pps: just made a s'more with nutella, peanut butter and chocolate chips in your honor!!!! yyyyyyuuuuuuummmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi P'nit!
    Just putting a care package together for you, your solar charger finally came! And I have no idea what Lauren's talking about, don't worry about the rumor mill. I suspect you have bigger things to worry about!
    Everyone's asking about you (no one else has asked how you're liking Maui...). Rebecca Farwell wrote this on my FB wall: "Glad to know she made it there. I hear mud huts are nicer than sand huts, and warmer than ice huts! Looking forward to the updates. Send her hugs from the Farwells!"
    More later! Love you!!! Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have lots of comments! one, i am glad you are already an experienced "pee in the hole-r" im sure you aced your first lesson ;)
    two, why is it that no one likes to sayy diarrhea? tho i prefer Mr. D to the tummy troubles theyd use in ghana lol
    three is the food anything like the couscous in the dogon? because that was soooo good i could eat a whole bowl myself!!! i hope you have a good two weeks with the new fam!! and im sure you miss yours alot (and apparently your new fiance hahahhahaha) but i am soooo jealous just reading your blog and want your life!!!
    maybe i should write an email next time..

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy birthday shmannis they better be throwing you a proper celebration over there...if not let us know and i think we can put together a great belated b-day party in your mud hut. cant wait to hear more and you should put up a little list of helpful words in Bambara.

    PS just got back from some wilderbeasting at lake cresent and marymere falls...we passed on the naked hippies tho

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha Lauren I dont know where you heard that from and way to call me Spanky!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Liz this is Uncle J and Wren reaching out half way round the world to you ! Really missed you (by one day) during my visit to Bainbridge ---had a wonderful visit walking every day along the water to the TreeHouse where I became a regular in less than a week ! Really loved it there in no small part due to the 60-70 degree weather vs mid 90's every day here on the FL Panhandle. Of course, when I arrived in SEA everyone was complaining about the cool cloudy weather, but it only took one day in the 80's there and everyone was crabbing about the HEAT ! Gheesh as you Mom would say.

    You probably heard from your Mom that I took my place at the 4th of July parade route in Winslow at 12:30 a.m. Jess warned me about the antics surrounding the 3rd of July so I did my best to uphold the tradition that she and you and your friends started.

    Really had a wonderful week incl hiking in the Mtns near Quilcene amid rhodies in full bloom -- amazing in mid July ! Many more special moments to share and will save some for later --

    I was listening to the Afrikan national anthem last evening on YouTube with Wren and we were thinking and talking about Lizzie ! Wren also really misses you and will write !

    Can't wait to hear more once you are reconnected to civilization --- very proud of you and miss you --- you have our daily thoughts and prayers for your wellbeing and impactful service....

    Love, Uncle J and Wren

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katie and I went to Forever 21 in Silverdale a few days ago...it wasn't the same without you! It was very successful, as usual. That place is our downfall!

    I've got a new favorite song that I think you might like!
    follow this link, next time you get internet access: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkKx_3pNEDA

    It's "Love the Way You Lie" Eminem ft. Rihanna - the only Eminem song I have ever liked, I swear! lol. It's basically about Chris Brown
    Can't let you miss out on the American music scene while you're gone :)

    And - good to hear the Bainbridge Street is wrong, as usual. hehe.
    It was too funny to not let you know!

    Hope you're language learning is going well!!

    ReplyDelete